Monday, March 18, 2013

Thoughts on my earlier post on immigration

Here.

Lots of good stuff in here. I don't have any time to respond in detail. Needless to say, my comments were more motivating thoughts than policy ideas. When I say that illegal immigrants are exactly the sort of people we want here, it was a statement to overcome the overwhelming bias against illegal immigrants and get people to think about self-selection and that sort of thing. It was not me saying "let's make it really hard to get in the country so only people that really want to be here get in". It was more me saying "you know those people you dump on - you actually want exactly those people". The author of this post seems to get that, but just to drive the point home.

4 comments:

  1. I grew up in an area that had a relatively high percentage of well educated Chinese immigrants. In my younger days, I thought that Chinese people were just smarter. In jr. high or high school I realized that what I was really seeing was a self selection process. Generally speaking, that self selection process is still in place, and most of the people fighting for access to live and work here make everyone's lives better. They don't steal jobs, they create even more jobs, and provide services that I would otherwise not have access to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. illegal immigrants are exactly the sort of people we want here

    I think that this is a crazy statement. What is it about illegal immigrants that is so desirable?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it about ANY type of immigrant that makes them desirable, whether they got here legally or illegally?

    Surely there are many who come to the US to commit crimes in a more prosperous country.

    But most of the immigrants, legal or illegal, simply want a better life for themselves and their children. I want to live with people who want a better life for themselves and their children.

    That is what is desirable about immigrants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. _Everyone_ wants a better life for themselves and their children.

    ReplyDelete

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.